Thursday, November 3, 2011

School and Luis' Bday

We are officially here in Salt Lake City, and LOVING IT!! It is so nice to be able to walk everywhere and be so close to everything! One thing I am not a big fan of is all of the traffic lights. I was at the VA doing my psych rotation which is 3 1/2 miles from our house. You'd think it would take 10 minutes to get there. Well...due to having to go through 22 traffic lights, it can take up to a half an hour to get home!! Annoying...

Well, finished my surgery rotation and LOVED it. I was very sad when I had to leave it ;( All those guts are pretty exciting to me ;) I was able to be the 1st assist in a lot of really cool surgeries. A few of them: bowel resections (the coolest ones), CABG, appendectomies, gallbladder removals (LOTS), Whipple procedures, fistulas for dialysis, and mastectomies. I can hardly wait for my cardiothoracic surgery rotation now ;)) I will say that the traumas the surgeon got called to were pretty crazy too, making me more anxious for my ER rotation. Still I am unsure of where I would like to end up working, but I am sure happy I have found things that I really enjoy doing so that when the time comes, I will be able to be more open to jobs that will be available.

Luis is doing well, studying harder than ever this semester. He (we) is so glad he will be done in May! (At least with this program...haha!) He is not 100% on what he wants to get his PhD in currently but hopefully soon we can figure that out. Whatever it is, I am just glad that I will be done with school in August. Whohoo!

Nothing over here is all that exciting but we love our simple life. I have LOVED the places that are a running distance away. So many different routes I can take. I really hope the FALL sticks around for a loooooooong time....I am hoping to post some pictures soon of the things I see on my runs. You WILL be impressed.

Luis' most recent find he is so proud of: baseball/football cleats for $20!! His favorite part is that he can change the color of the swoosh. Now he is ready for the ward to start a league already! (Can you tell he wasn't too thrilled to take a picture??)
Just over a month ago we celebrated Luis' birthday. Just the two of us since we really don't know anyone in Salt Lake, and we still kind of like each other, so it was still fun. He was blessed to get his entire birthday week (haha phlup) off from school (well, at least his classes...). He studied all week!! We have both realized we don't really like cake much and PIES are WAY better so now we are going to have pies for our birthday treat. He chose chocolate oreo cream pie with real whipped cream.
For his gifts, I first had the bright idea to get him a LOVESAC from KSL and make it a surprise. Well...I am glad it ended up not being a surprise (he snooped onto my computer and saw the searches!!) because it weighs more than you'd think! And it took us a good half hour to get it in the Camry, and another 45 minutes to get it out of the car! But WE LOVE IT!!!!!! And it was well worth the workout it gave us that night (and the next day...). Since this gift could have maybe had my name engraved on it, I figured I should get him a few things for him. First, got him his first stainless steal sauce pan...may not be that exciting for everyone, but Luis has been complaining about our Teflon pans because they don't get hot enough. It has made our lives a bit easier already.
Okay, so this next picture captures a glimpse of the best present...it was an umbrella. Yup. An umbrella. Luis was SO FUNNY when he opened it. He was spinning it on the ground when it was open and clicking his heals singing "I'm singin' in the rain!". He was like a child, being the most excited for the cheapest gift. Now I know...(lovesac is on his right)


No comments:

Post a Comment